Please visit me on
I want to present you my latest FFXIV Cosplay.
(please don't mind my poor English, I'm from Austria and no native speaker )
It's the AF Dragoon armor.
It was a huge project and took me about 2,5 months to finish it. (Started at the middle/end of April, finished right before the end of June)
The costs are about 1000 Euros (1300 Dollars) Yea, kinda sick that I spent so much money on it but I always wanted to do it!
Half of the costs were for the special material I used --> WONDERFLEX
It's such a brilliant thermoplastic material. I never worked with it so I really hope that my cosplay turned out nice ^^
The Dragoon armor looks so badass and it was always my dream to make an "armor" cosplay hehe.
(I wasn't sure which one would be my first armor cosplay, I also wanted to make a Mass Effect cos but oh well maybe next year ^^)
I will divide this blog into 3 different categories.
- Photos of my finished FFXIV Dragoon cosplay as my character Esumi Aoi
- Things/Materials I used to make it
- Work in Progress (WIP) with photos and some infos :)
Special thanks goes to:
- My boyfriend who tolerated the chaos, noise, smell I caused in our apartment over two months.
- Holy Dragoon for all your screenshots you shared with me
- Mika Azatori for the funny conversations we had while crafting (all that suffering hahaha) x'DDD
- _Kamui_ (she doesn't know me but her tutorials are awesome!)
Super special thanks goes to:
- My beloved twinsister Cloud-Dark1470
She was my conslave the whole day! She fed me, she gave me to drink, she put my cosplay parts back into place, she fixed my hair she was just there for MEEE <33
Ah btw. one day before the convention she visited me to help me with my pants. She drew the pattern i showed her on it. Without her, my pants would be unfinished, so thank you thousand times!!!!
(now a little stupid Photo of us xD)
Have fun and thanks for watching!
Photos of Esumi as a Dragoon
If you are on deviantArt I would be very happy if you leave me a comment or a fav
Typical Dragoon Pose ^^
Some different poses :3
Welcome to Gridania!
I'll show you around :3
Is it over now? ^^
For the people who are curious about the things that were needed
The things/tools/materials I used:
(I needed to buy all of it [except for the boyfriend part ^^] that's why this cosplay was so expensive lol)
- 4 large sheets of wonderflex
- 12 medium sheets of wonderflex
- Craft foam (10 x A3 size and 20 x A4 size. Depends on the single parts)
- 2-3 kg of light white modeling clay (I needed so much for my lance ... >_>)
- 4 thin wooden sticks (lenght about 40 cm)
- A 2 meter long wooden stick for the relic lance (diameter about 4-5 cm, depends on your grip :3)
- A very large roll of brown/kraft paper (You will need it, trust me! You need to draw everything before you apply it on wonderflex. You would hate yourself if you ruin it and lots of money would go to waste.)
- Heat gun (I love that thing! I had to buy it for this project hehe)
- Stanley Knife
- Different kinds of sandpaper
- Rulers (for the patterns of each part)
- measuring tape (you need to know the meassurements of your body! Otherwise the patterns won't work ^^)
- duct tape
- crepe tape
- A super large cutting mat (60x90 cm)
- 2 litre of Gesso
- Acryl colors (different gold and silver tones/shades, black and white)
- 6 aerosol paint of the color "cassis" (brilliant and best color for the Dragoon imho)
- Nail polish in different purple tones/colors and a glittering white and blue one (you need it for the "orbs")
- Casting resin (for the orbs and cool looking shapes)
- 3 different casting resin forms/molds (every mold had about 3-8 different forms)
- Lots of different Brushes (for the color and for gesso)
- 1-2 meters of Velcro tape (to fix the parts together ^^)
- A pair of silk gloves (I lost one … dunno how so I had to buy a second pair … damnit xD)
- Shoes (I bought black stilettos/boots in a western look with only a 1 cm heel and modified most of it)
- Black cloth to make a modified turtleneck jersey xD (the belly needs to be visible and the sleeves need to be short)
- Pants to be ready for modification (I hate to sew pants so I used one I already have =P)
- Lots of time and patience
- My boyfriend who saved me from many attacks of rage "F*CK THIS S*IIIIITTTTT!!!" ヽ(`Д´)ﾉ ┻━┻
- Old newspapers for the colored parts
If I missed something I'm sorry, I used so many things X3
So here's the story how everything started.
Since i never worked with wonderflex I had to start with the easiest parts. After a long time analyzing the screenshots I decided to begin with the belt.
I had to check all my screenshots to make the patterns as perfect as i could. It was much work of calculating and creating many patterns till i got the right one.
After that I apply each pattern on the smooth side of the wonderflex. (wonderflex has two different sides a smooth one and a one with a fabric grid)
For each piece i had to make a duplicate because wonderflex is really really thin (2 mm) To make it more stable you can glue 2 parts of wonderflex together.
Or use craft foam (it has to be 1-2 cm smaller then the WF pattern) and put it between the two (cut out) sheets of wonderflex (I used both possibilities, it depends on the piece)
So back to the belt.
The front plate was rather easy and it was a good practice as my first piece (no craft foam for this one). For the details I also used WF. Just heat it up and press it on the right spot. The parts will stick together perfectly ^^
When I started the belt I didn't know it would work out like I imagined. (horray for creativity and imagination) I had to bend it on some places to get the right shape. (it was kinda horrible with the craft foam in the middle but the result was fine. (at least from the outside hahaha)
It looked like that (see photo) when it was done :3 After the WF hardened again I added the details as well as that back tail thing and set it aside.
substructure of craft foam was needed for stabilization. It was so much work with the hot glue and I burned my fingers way too often >_> (so much rage on that day! Thank you Kyu (bf) for calming me down!)
asting resin! Oh man that stuff smells!!!! That day the wind outside was super strong and I really had problems working outside, so I had to work part inside the apartment and part outside on our terrace. The molds always tried to fly away and my cup with the mixed casting resin and the hardener nearly fell over @_@
Somehow I managed to fill the molds with the resign and put it to a safe place on our terrace.
For the cosplay I had to create two bigger orbs for the shoulder parts. And 4 smaller ones for the gloves. (the gloves will be the next topic.
Once the resign dried I pulled it out of its molds and started to paint the back with different nail polish. (purple, white, rose, light blue)
Kamui made a tutorial about Orbs, her tutorial helped me a lot with this topic ^^ (I never worked with casting resin)
Velcro tape to open and close the boots. The details were the best part of it. Except for the thing on the back of the lower leg. This thing was a desaster but I managed it somehow. (its shape is super weird)
The hair accessoires
This was a spontanious decicion i made. I thought the old hair accessoires were too old (too small) and not that good looking so I decided to remake them.
... and it was awefull. I only had 4 days left till the convention started @_@
So I spent every evening till night with it. When I nearly finished the wings my lance fell on the floor and all the clay broke down. (that was 2 days before the convention)
I really thought fuuuu, I can never make it in time.
It was the longest cosplay making session of my life....
I worked till 2 am in the morning (saturday) to finish this stupid lance. I was so in panic mode that it motivated me that much to finish it, but ... it was still unfinished!!!
at 7.30 in the morning. D:
2 hours later my sister and best friend arrived and we went to the convention... god what a day xD
Lol you can even see the 4 days on the pictures ^^ (the light photo from the afternoon and the darker photo from the night)
turtleneck jersey (at the beginning) and ordered my sister to my place. She had to paint the scales on it and also on the pants xD. (where they are visible)
To give them a nice effect I used some gold/silver/black color on the tips and showed my sister how to draw them. (I already had the pants, cuz I don't like to sew them…)
aerosol paint of the color "cassis". (I tried to spare the parts where I don't need it)
(and ya .. that situation i drew really happaned. xD not with that much color but some of it.... ^^)
Next thing the gold color!
It's very important not to use just the same gold color for everything. It would look boring.
I mixed different gold tones also with black and silver to get the best result :)
Thanks for watching!!!